Saturday 5 November 2011

Finishing the guildhall

Continuing the modelling of the guildhall I took the reference images for the side of the building and lined them up. I adjusted the bottom of the floors and the ground as they are not straight as they were in the model.


I fixed the roof to make it the correct shape and modelled the chimney using the new reference images that I had lined up.


I used a box to start modelling the chimney and then used swift loops to add extra loops and create the shape. I selected the top polygon and used inset and then extrude to create the inside of the chimney.


From the attic floor plan I extruded the walls for the attic and then positioned them so that they fitted under the roof.


I added the beams in between the top and bottom floors. To create the beams I used a box and then adjusted its shape after converting it to an editable poly. I then cloned the object and positioned them in place before attached them together.


I modelled the supports between the lower and upper floor and positioned them in place.

Support
Supports in place
After lining up the plans for the front of the building with floor plans I found that the windows don’t line up in quite the right place although the edge of the building is in the correct place.

Having lining up images in 3DS Max, I thought that I should have lined them up in Photoshop really. I brought the images into Photoshop and as far as I can see the windows for the floor plan and windows on the outside plan don’t line up. I kept the windows in place with the floor plan and used the front reference plate to adjust the height of the windows.

Modelling from the floor plan worked well as now the inside and outside of the guildhall has been modelled at the same time. Also the floor plan can be used to place other objects in the scene as these are drawn on the floor plan.

Above is the guildhall model so far. I applied some simple materials to see how the model was looking. These will be replaced with better ones later once the model is finished.

Next I need to create the beams for the ceiling on the second floor as well as the arch over the pathway through the guildhall and add materials and textures to model.

No comments:

Post a Comment