Wednesday 19 October 2011

Specular map

To create the specular map I started with the bump map and then adjusted the levels to make the map darker. I imported in the UV template as it was hard to see the different part of the head as the map was so dark with little detail.

I created a new layer and with a paint brush set to lighten I painted onto the map where the specular highlights would be. I painted more around the eyes, mouth, nose and forehead as these parts of the face are more oily. I then applied a Gaussian blur to the texture so that the different sections would be blend together.


I adjusted the specular settings for the material so it looked more shiny. All of the head was affected by these settings where the light shone on it. This is not what I wanted and this is why the spec map will be used. Where the map is black the specular highlights will not be applied but where the map is white the specular settings will be applied.


Below the head model with the spec map applied is shown. You can see that the specular highlights are only applied in the places where specular map has white sections. In the above screenshot there are highlights on the neck but in the image below there are no specular highlights on the neck as they were not painted onto the map.


When using the spec map I had a problem using a PSD file, the spec map was not applied to the material. I solved this exporting the spec map from Photoshop as a PNG file, when this was used in 3DS Max the spec map was applied correctly. After this I went back and looked at the problem I had with the bump map and was able to solve it in the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment