Thursday 20 October 2011

Final render and Evaluation

Below is the final render of my head model. I lit the scene and rendered it using mental ray.


I think that my head model has progressed well as I have finished working through all of the video tutorials and am pleased with the results. I think that more time could have been spent on the material stage but some of the stages in creating the model took longer than I had expected. I think that the final result looks reasonably like me but with some more adjustments to the mesh I may be able to improve the likeness.


Other things that could be added to the model are the hair and fur modifier could be used to create more realistic hair rather than just using the flat hair from the texture. Eyelashes could be added as well as hair for eyebrows. More detail could be added around the eye on head model and the eyeball model could include more detail. Subsurface scattering (sss) could be used on the model to create a more skin like texture as this would simulate the way light passes through the skin then scatters in places like the ears.


As well as these additional features the model could be animated to bring life to the model.
Creating the model was challenging but enjoyable. Following the video tutorials was quite straight forward although it was quite hard to join the ear to the head. I am quite happy with the overall model but the nose and lips could do with some work.


I am not great at Photoshop but I am pleased with the way the textures have turned out. I found creating the texture maps quite fun and learnt a lot about a variety of different tools and techniques in Photoshop.


With regard to the 3d modelling I learnt about using create, cut and connect to add to the existing mesh. I also learn more about using the Unwrap UVW modifier and how to correctly unwrap the head model.


It was interesting to learn about the correct layout for topology and I think that planning the topology before starting the model really helped during the modelling stage.


I think that if I had to model a head again I would have a better understanding of how the model should be created and the stages that should be taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment