Saturday 8 October 2011

Extending the head

The next step is to create the back of the head and neck. The back of the head will be modelled separately and joined to the face, the same method will also be used for when modelling the ear. First I started by drawing some topology guidelines for the back of the head and then loaded these into 3DS Max.

New reference plate
With the new reference plates loaded I added a sphere into the scene, rotated it so the poles were facing the side (where the ears will be) and scaled it to the shape of my head. I adjusted the amount of segments in the sphere so that there were the same amount as the topology on the head.


I deleted polygons from the sphere to start to shape head. I deleted the inner polgons on the side of the head as well as the ones covering the face and half of sphere as a symmetry modifier will be applied later.


I turned on snap to vertex and moved the vertices at the front of the head so that they lined up with the ones for the face with the use of soft selection.

Next I selected every other edge around the sphere and then clicked ring to select all the edges in that ring. I then clicked collapse to remove these edges and simplify the structure of the head.

I started to create more edges by holding shift and dragging the existing edges and then moving the vertices to the topology guides that I had drawn.


The image above shows how far I have got with this stage of modelling my head. I will continue to work on this section and then join it to the front of the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment